Tihamer Toth-Fejel let us know that the public can comment online today, right now, our views on nanotech:
President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST)
President’s Innovation and Technology Advisory Committee (PITAC)
Golden Triangle1 Workshop
1 Golden Triangle: Research Encompassing Information Technology — Biotechnology — Nanotechnology.
June 22, 2010
Webcast at: http://www.tvworldwide.com/events/pcast/100622/
Goal of Workshop: The information from this workshop will provide guidance that will inform the implementation of the President’s Innovation Strategy as outlined in the following document: “A Strategy for American Innovation: Driving Towards Sustainable Growth and Quality Jobs,” and identify possible studies that might be conducted under PCAST’s overarching activity entitled “Creating New Jobs Through Science, Technology, and Innovation.”
Workshop Question: What are the critical infrastructures, that only government can help provide, that are needed to enable creation of new biotechnology, nanotechnology, and information technology (bio/nano/info) products and innovations that will lead to new jobs and greater GDP?
10:00 am Welcome and Workshop Overview
Shirley Ann Jackson, Co-Chair, PITAC
Eric Schmidt, Co-Chair, PITAC
10:15 am Introductions: How would you respond to the workshop question? Specifically:
• What are the new bio/nano/info technologies with which you are involved that will change the world in the next 10 years? What are the unique opportunities at the intersections of these fields?
• Where is the basic research taking us? What knowledge gaps remain?
• What are the impediments to commercialization and broad use of these technologies?
• What infrastructure is required to properly test, prototype, scale, and manufacture breakthrough technologies?
• Where should the Federal government invest and focus its resources? What Federal policies or programs relating to these technologies are in need of review? Are new programs or policies needed in light of recent and anticipated advances in these fields?
Please illustrate your answer with an exhibit, document, or case study that would help describe or explain your insights.
11:45 am Live Public Comment via Facebook, Twitter, Email, or OpenPCAST website 2
12:00 pm Working Lunch
Keynote: Aneesh Chopra, Chief Technology Officer, and Associate Director, Technology, Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP), Executive Office of the President
12:30 pm Discussion of Responses to Workshop Question
2:00 pm Live Public Comment via Facebook, Twitter, Email, or OpenPCAST website
2:15 pm Final Thoughts
2:30 pm Adjourn
Sorry for the late notice! —Chris Peterson